Debugging Parsoid using Google Chrome Developer Tools

parsoid

Does anybody have experience with using the Google Chrome Developer Tools to debug Parsoid? I’ve tried by starting Parsoid with node --debug-brk bin/server.js and then connecting the Developer Tools. The debugger stopped at the application entrypoint and I was able to step through the first invoked source code file. But when I add additional breakpoints in other source code files, they are never reached. I believe the reason for this is, that VisualEditor can not communicate with Parsoid anymore (curl error: 7) once it is connected to the debugger. Any hint on this? How do the core developers debug?

Typically I use the chrome dev tools to debug the command-cli CLI (bin/parse.js and friends), not the server itself. But there seem to be tips for your exact use case in https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Parsoid/Debugging#Stepping_through_the_ParsoidService.js

Probably we should make this wiki page easier to find! Suggestions/edits welcome.

Thanks for the hint!

Using node --inspect-brk bin/server.js -n 0 did not work :frowning:. Debugger connects on the entrypoint but no breakpoint in other source files is reached. But at least VisualEditor can talk to Parsoid again (no curl error: 7), so I guess I am on the right track.

Arlo: this is probably due to the fork mechanism in service-runner? Is there an option like --useWorker=false that works for service-runner?

Arlo replied via email, but it appears not to have been mirrored here. He said:

| Is there an option like --useWorker=false that works for service-runner?
Yup, use --config and set things there.

num_workers: 0
services:
  - module: lib/index.js
    entrypoint: apiServiceWorker
    conf:
        useWorker: false

Yup, use --config and set things there.

num_workers: 0
services:
 - module: lib/index.js
   entrypoint: apiServiceWorker