IRC integration

What do you think about setting up IRC integration (announce new Ask Here topics on #mediawiki, and maybe new Site Feedback topics on #wikimedia-devtools)?

There is no IRC plugin for discourse as far as I could find, but the official chat plugin supports Matrix, which has an IRC bridge, so it can be hacked together.

Should be good, it may help to patrol this site easier to detect potential spam earlier, just like we have RC feeds for wikis, etc.

It’s a good idea, I’m very new to this support channel and I may fail to properly monitor it.
Because I have irc notifications in place I think this would greatly help me not to forget to check this site if a question where I could help is posted.

+1 sounds like a good idea.

Filed as T187634.

@qgil could you apply this patch to the discourse-chat-integration plugin while you’re at it?

Upgrading Discourse (this site)

(I moved @Tgr’s post here for better context. “while you’re at it” refers to me upgrading Discourse.)

This is about

@Tgr Sorry, I haven’t applied your patch for several reasons:

• I don’t know how to do this in a proper git way. This one is the most important. :blush:
  • The discourse-chat-integration plugin has been upgraded as well today, and I wasn’t sure whether your patch was still relevant / functional.
  • I also wondered whether you had sent a pull request to the plugin repository, and if not why.