Quite often when discussing the future of this forum, the future of mailing lists comes up as well.
- From a user point of view, people wonder whether one day we can have seamless integration, so “forum people” and “mailing list people” can use the same space, each one to their liking.
- From an Operations point of view, site reliance engineers wonder whether it is possible to support one service instead of two.
- There are also potential benefits for having all current technical mailing lists mirrored in this forum for better search and more – see Mirroring mediawiki-l, wikitech-l and other tech mailing lists
We have known for a long time that all the pieces to emulate a mailing list from Discourse exist, and this is a proposal to try them out together, learn, fine tune, and document.
The goal is to satisfy the needs of savvy users of mailing lists at https://lists.wikimedia.org/.
- Go to your Email preferences and Enable mailing list mode.
- Send messages to
firstname.lastname@example.org simply post to the #mailing-list-simulator category via web.
- You should start receiving the corresponding emails. Process them as you process email from actual mailing lists (e.g. setting an own folder or filter).
- Reply via email to emails you receive.
- Report your findings, in this thread or in new ones under the #site-feedback category (#mailing-list-simulator is a test category and it will be eventually deleted with all its test content).
As soon as we start finding good practices, answers to frequents questions etc we will start documenting them at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Discourse/Help